Friday 27 April 2012

not for sale!

I've recently been taking part in some soap making challenges. You will have seen my soap piping experiment in a previous post, which went quite well, and I am happy with how it turned out, but I'd like to try again, and maybe incorporate piped toppings onto one of my existing lines ....'dreamy' perhaps? Anyway, I digress.....this week's challenge is to try a faux funnel swirl, which is a way of layering different colours into your soap, normally done with a funnel, but this way is freehand.



(pic borrowed from Daves wooden soap moulds) funnel swirl set up

With a real funnel swirl, you alternately pour your different colours of soap through a funnel into the mould.  This creates conscentric circles of the colours, and is very effective.  The faux funnel swirl is done freehand, by pouring each colour soap in a pool over the previous colour and so forth. The 'circles' are not so perfect, a little abstract, and also gives a very striking finish

here's my attempt:

I've scented this one with real amber resin, lavender & tangerine essential oils. It smells amazing, fresh & spicy and mysterious. I love it. As it has real amber resin infusion in it, I can't sell these bars*....what a shame, I'll just have to use them up all by myself!

*recipes for the resin are closely guarded by the manufacturers, so no MSDS are available, making it unsuitable for use in products for sale, but fine for personal use.

9 comments:

  1. That looks gorgeous Emma, love the colours and the scent sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out so lovely, Emma!! It's really too bad that you will have to use them all yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful soap Emma! I really love the colors and I've never smelled amber resin in a soap before but have used it to make infused oils for perfume. I bet your soap smells absolutely amazing with amber in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of amber resin to be used in cosmetics, but I love the colours. Now to find where I can get some amber resin in Australia, my curiosity is definitely aroused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou both! Amber takes on a whole different personality in soap. It smells incredible, not the same as it is 'raw'. It adds a freshness, a mysteious perfume note, very difficult to explain. I have also blended it with patchouli EO, which is my all time favourite, and I make if for myself from time to time as I can't sell soap with amber resin in :( I use an amber FO instead, which is just not the same!

    ReplyDelete